Sunday, July 26, 2009

The day after

I started thinking today about how people choose to spend the "day after vacation." Of course I mean a real, long vacation not like a long weekend or something. If you're fortunate enough to plan (have time for) an extra day back at home before you go back to work, how do you usually spend it and what does that say about you? I don't really have all the answers about this but it is just something I was thinking about.

Today was our "day after vacation" and we didn't really have a plan, per se, about how we'd spend our day. Other than going to church, we hadn't really discussed an agenda. We slept in until 9am thanks to Pacific time ruling our bodies for another day or two. Somehow made it to church and then home for lunch. After that, it was yard work, naps (for Will), and playing (gotta love slip-n-slide). Oh, and laundry. Funny side story, I had so much sand in my washer and dryer I had to run an empty load just to clean it all out! Love that sand. I am sure I will find some in my bed tonight.

Now, what do you think of this? Are we lame for not making it a final fun day? Or are we responsible for taking care of our overgrown front yard? I can't decide.

Another subject I was thinking about...are you a messy cook? I am a messy cook. I wish I wasn't a messy cook but I am. What does that say about a person? Does it say anything at all? Those Food Network chefs make it look so easy. I just wonder how many times they practice a meal before they actually tape the show. Silly.

__________________________


A few Meg and Olivia quotes that should keep you laughing:

While discussing what she wanted for lunch on the last day at the beach, I asked Meg if she wanted a hot dog. We were going to walk to Sara's Mexican and Gabbiano's but I didn't know if she would just prefer a hot dog (nitrite free of course). She said, "Yes, I want a hot dog but I will walk with you to the places and when I get there I will change my mind." And she did.

Tonight, while discussing "an incident" we had today with some neighbor kids Olivia is describing how things went down. And at one point she says to me, "That's when you're supposed to say, 'Oh, really, that's very interesting.'"


_______________________________


I am going to whisper this part. George has started reading a blog. How great is that? It's BASKETBAWFUL. (And it has a lot of sex in it.) I am sure he'll give me an update tonight. I love it.


________________________________

This is too deep to go into tonight but I am heartsick for my favorite blogger MckMama. Her precious one, Stellan, is having major heart trouble and is in the hospital. This boy is special. Their family is special and she is an amazing mother. Prayers or being said for them all over the world tonight and that is no exaggeration. That is just the tip of the iceberg on how special they are. God is truly at the center of their lives and they are such a remarkable witness to Him even in times of great fear. This is where it gets really difficult, I think, because it would be so very easy to be discouraged and faithless. That's not to say they aren't human. I said it was too much to go into now (it's late) but here I go. Anyway, please join me and so many others in praying for their sweet, sweet Stellan. God does perform miracles. You only have to read the Bible to know it is true.

No comments: