Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lonely?


Yesterday was Will's first day of "school." He is a mama's boy and so I was apprehensive about how it would go. George got sick and couldn't drop him off (yes, I am that chicken) so I had to be the one to do it. I wasn't sure I could do it if it was ugly. I didn't really have anything I had to do and sort of feel weird about the whole thing anyway. He did great! He enjoyed himself as soon as he got there. He kept coming over to me to hug me and then would run off again and check out some other item in the room. Meg went with me to drop him off before she went to her room. She was insistent on going to "baby school" to drop him off. After we got in the room, she proceeded to tell the teachers EVERYTHING about him. What to do when he gets hurt, what not to do, how to change his diapers, what he eats, what he doesn't eat...EVERYTHING! They were cracking up (one of them didn't know Meg at all). He slept for two hours and played and threw his food all over the place. He was just like he was at home! The first thing they said to me when I walked through the door was, "He's not a crier (sp?), he's a screamer." So they really got to see my Will at his finest. I warned them diaper changes are not easy and neither is going to sleep. But some lucky teacher (actually it was my dear Angela) got to rock the boy (a.k.a. The Prince) to sleep.


While Will was at his first day of school, Meg and I got to have a little mother-daughter time. This was not such a big deal to her (like it is to Olivia who is used to this concept and expects it) but it was nice nonetheless. We went to lunch and while we were at lunch a boy from her class came in with his mom. Meg was so funny and kept flirting with him and wandering over to his table to ask him questions or tell him stuff. I asked her if Jackson had any brothers and sisters. She said she didn't know but she would go ask him. She went over and came back with the answer, "No, he doesn't have any brothers or sisters." I said, "Ok then, it's just Jackson." Meg paused a moment and said, "It must be lonely not to have any brothers or sisters." Mom: "Well, Meg. He has his mommy and daddy and that's what his family is made of." Meg: "Well I think it is still lonely." Hmmm. I was so shocked by this statement. It was not coerced and I don't think I led her to it. It really seemed sincere. It also made me laugh. Meg is certainly one to talk about being lonely. She is the life of the party these days (interrupting everyone and everything). And it was also sort of ironic. She was all alone with me...certainly a rare occasion.

No comments: